The UK’s biggest location-based-entertainments company has become the latest signatory for the Care Leavers Covenant joining over 350+ other private and public companies.
The Care Leaver Covenant is a national inclusion programme designed to support care leavers aged 16-25 to live independently. The Covenant is made up of private, public, and voluntary sectors who have made various pledges of support which aim to provide additional support for those leaving the UK’s care system.
The support and expertise offered by the businesses include practical things such as free data for mobiles or laptops, through to wider mentoring or jobs creation, and are all additional to the statutory support provided by local authorities.
To demonstrate full support for the programme, Merlin Entertainments, known for their popular attractions throughout the UK, have created a dedicated programme for the Care Leaver Covenant entitled ‘Merlin Illuminate’ which includes pledges such as:
- Support with interviews and practical feedback if they are unsuccessful
- A range of virtual events – to offer to the care leavers network hints and tips on CVs, career development and downloadable tips and toolkit
- Discounted and tickets to win for Care Leavers for Merlin UK attractions – which will be run through the Care Leavers Covenant app
- A Merlin illuminate podcast series – to give practical ideas on interviews and CV creation
- Illuminate Mentor Day – a hosted annual event and a dedicated ‘Light-up’ moment at their iconic attractions including the London Eye and the Blackpool Tower
- Illuminate cultural work experience across some of Merlin attractions at their cultural key events such as
Blackpool Illuminations ‘Switch On’ in the Tower
“Merlin’s mission is always to create magical memories and moments of joy for families and children with a real focus on our local communities. We want to ensure that as a company we are shining a light on these young care leavers, aged 16-25, who may not have a support network. Our ‘Merlin Illuminate’ programme is designed to offer advice, knowledge, and help provide practical routes to employment. Even if they aren’t successful straight away, we are committed to offering individuals a day out with a friend at one of our attractions to experience the Merlin magic. If we can offer a ray of light, in what can sometimes be a dark moment, then we’ll be fulfilling our overall objective.”
Fiona Eastwood, Chief Operating Officer for Resort Theme Parks and Midways for Merlin Entertainments